– June 2013 was an exciting month filled with new beginnings for Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex with the June 29 grand opening of Space Shuttle AtlantisSM, the world’s most comprehensive and interactive attraction devoted to NASA’s 30-year Space Shuttle Program.
Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex also launched a new website at its familiar URL of www.KennedySpaceCenter.com.
A visually engaging and easy-to-navigate online portal for people interested in learning more about – and purchasing tickets to – Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex, the new website boasts an innovative design that creates an interactive and engaging experience for the user.
New website features include:
· Vivid imagery to give an insider’s view of the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex and its many immersive attractions and interactive exhibits.
· A timeline to educate visitors on historic and modern-day space milestones and connect them to exhibits at Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex.
· Illustrative maps that help visitors find Space Shuttle Atlantis, the Kennedy Space Center Bus Tour to the Apollo/Saturn V Center, Angry Birds Space Encounter and other exhibits throughout the visitor complex.
· Intuitive navigation that carries through in the site’s new search and ticket-purchase functions.
· Quick and simple access to Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex’s social media channels.
· Use and leverage of responsive Web design to captivate audience members with various screen-size resolutions.
· Separate layout for a customized mobile experience.
“We are excited to launch our new website in conjunction with the grand opening of the Space Shuttle Atlantis attraction at the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex,” said Bill Moore, chief operating officer of the Visitor Complex. “Just as with our new Space Shuttle Atlantis attraction, we wanted our website to be a completely immersive experience for our guests. The new design creates an interactive and engaging experience for users, helping bring to life the epic story of the U.S. space program and the many fun and educational activities we offer.”
About Space Shuttle AtlantisSM
The world’s most comprehensive attraction devoted to the space shuttle, Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex’s new Space Shuttle Atlantis brings visitors nose to nose with Atlantis as only astronauts have seen it before – with payload bay doors open as if it were floating in space.
More than 60 exciting, educational touch-screen experiences and high-tech simulators invite guests of all ages and all interest levels – from students to “space geeks” – to “be the astronaut,” bringing to life the people, passion and patriotism behind NASA’s 30-year Space Shuttle Program as well as the complexity of the engineering marvel that launched the Hubble Space Telescope and built the International Space Station (ISS). Visitors can spend their vacations making memories such as conducting a virtual space walk; docking to the ISS; creating sonic booms and gliding down the Re-entry Slide; experiencing the sensation of floating in space; and strapping in to the sights, sounds and sensations of a shuttle launch, among many other interactive experiences.
Space Shuttle Atlantis is the centerpiece of the 10-year master plan developed by Delaware North Companies Parks & Resorts, operator of Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex for NASA since 1995. The Visitor Complex is not funded through tax dollars or appropriated funds. Operation, maintenance and development are funded through revenue generated by ticket, food and merchandise sales. Space Shuttle Atlantis is the culmination of years of development by Delaware North Companies Parks & Resorts and St. Louis-based PGAV Destinations, in partnership with NASA. The attraction is included in regular admission to Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex.
Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex brings to life the epic story of the U.S. space program, offering a full day or more of fun and educational activities, including the Kennedy Space Center Tour featuring the Apollo/Saturn V Center with an actual Saturn V moon rocket, the new Angry Birds™ Space Encounter, Shuttle Launch Experience, 3D IMAX® space films, Astronaut Encounter, Exploration Space: Explorers Wanted and many other interactive exhibits. Admission also includes the U.S. Astronaut Hall of Fame®, featuring historic spacecraft and the world's largest collection of personal astronaut memorabilia, which opens daily at noon and closing times vary by season. Only 45 minutes from Orlando, Fla., Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex opens daily at 9 a.m. with closing times varying by season. Admission is $50 + tax for adults and $40 + tax for children ages 3-11.
In honor of the Year of Atlantis, the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex Commander’s Club Annual Pass is on sale for a limited time at a discounted rate of $55 + tax for adults and $45 + tax for children ages 3-11 when purchased online or by phone only. Regular price of $63 + tax for adults and $53 + tax for children ages 3-11 applies for all gate purchases. For more information or to purchase tickets or an annual pass, call 877-313-2610 or visit www.KennedySpaceCenter.com.