First Rate Exchange Services, the UK’s leading supplier of foreign currency to businesses in financial services, travel and tourism and the retail sector, has announced a new partnership with international water aid charity, Just a Drop.
The company will aim to support two of Just a Drop’s clean water projects. The first, chosen by employees and already fully funded by First Rate Exchange Services, will benefit the village of Muyebe in south-western Uganda. It will involve renovating the community’s reservoir, pipe distribution network and the storage tanks, providing clean water to up to 15,000 people. The company is now galvanising all their people to start fundraising with the aim of funding a second project.
The people in Muyebe are very poor and rely on subsistence farming for their living. Boys drop out of school early and girls are often given in marriage at 14 in exchange for money. On top of that is a severe clean water issue. Girls are often the water-carriers and before school have to carry jerry cans for up to four kilometres up and down a mountainside, and even then it is dirty and unsafe. This obviously has an impact on their education and their health.
For a community as poor as this, clean, safe drinking water will have a huge impact on their quality of life, meaning they don’t have to spend what little money they have on medicines for water-related diseases, and that they have more time for employment and school.
Gordon Gourlay, Managing Director for First Rate Exchange Services said, “As the UK market leader and the experts in foreign exchange we wanted to make a difference to children who live in some of the countries that our customers visit and that’s why we think Just a Drop is the perfect choice of charity partner for us.”
Fiona Jeffery, Founder and Chairman of Just a Drop said, “We are very appreciative of the support given by First Rate Exchange Services. Their decision to support two projects will allow Just a Drop to bring clean water to thousands of people and will save and change lives, especially for the children of the communities. We simply couldn’t deliver these projects without their support.”
To read more about Just a Drop’s projects or supporters or to make a one-off or regular donation please visit www.justadrop.org
To enquire about fundraising for Just a Drop, or to sponsor a project, please contact Kelly Railton on Kelly.Railton@justadrop.org or on 020 8910 7752.
Notes to Editors
About Just a Drop
· Launched in 1998, Just a Drop is an international water-aid charity which aims to contribute positively to the reduction of child mortality caused through poor sanitation and unsafe water and to actively reduce the numbers of people without access to clean water.
· Working with local partners - at a grassroots level - we provide a local, clean water supply through appropriate engineering solutions to some of the poorest communities in the world.
· The work we support includes safe sanitation and the construction of wells, boreholes, pipelines, hand pumps, sand dams and latrines. We also strive to improve health and sanitation education by encouraging the establishment of WASH (Water and Sanitation Hygiene) programmes to run alongside our work.
· To date, our projects have reached an estimated 1.5 million people in 31 countries from Afghanistan to Zambia.
Fast Water Facts:
· A child dies around every 20 seconds as a result of a water related illness
· Over 783 million people in the world do not have access to clean, safe water
· Around 2.5 billion people do not have access to adequate sanitation
· Over 2.75 million people die from water related diseases every year
· More people in the world own mobile phones than have access to a toilet
About First Rate Exchange
First Rate Exchange is the UK’s leading supplier of retail foreign currency.
One of the foremost FX experts in the industry, with a multi-billion pound wholesale business which making First Rate a top 5 wholesaler globally.
First Rate currently provides FX services to a number of highly successful partners and clients including Post Office Ltd, HiFX, Santander, P&O Ferries, Virgin Holidays Ltd, Debenhams, Kuponginlösen (KI) and Swedbank. http://www.firstrate.co.uk/