Zomato, the most comprehensive online restaurant and nightlife guide in Johannesburg, has expanded its presence in South Africa with the launch of its Cape Town section. It entered the South African market in April this year and is already one of the top 500 websites visited by the people of South Africa. Zomato is available on the weband on its free mobile apps for BlackBerry, iOS, Android, and Windows Phone.
The guide provides in-depth information on over 1,300 restaurants in Cape Town, making it the most exhaustive restaurant discovery platform in the city for anyone looking to dine out, have food delivered, or order take-away. Zomato's strength is the information it provides on the restaurants, such as scanned menus, photos, mapped coordinates, and user reviews. On mobile, Zomato's award-winning app is location-aware and suggests the best restaurants around a user's physical location. All of Zomato's web features are available and fully supported on the mobile app.
Some interesting facts about restaurants in Cape Town, which can be seen from Zomato's data on restaurants in the city:
- Cape Town has a total of around 1300 restaurants
- Fast food and pizza restaurants make up about 25% of the 1300 restaurants in Cape Town
- Outside of fast food and pizza, African cuisine is the dominant cuisine being served in the city with about 100 restaurants
- Asian/Chinese cuisine is a close second with about 80 restaurants
- As most locals would already know, the Bay Area alone has more than 200 restaurants; CBD is also quite crowded with a little over 150 restaurants
Deepinder Goyal, Founder and CEO, said "We've been expanding our geographical footprint aggressively over the past few months, and South Africa is an important market for us. The response from Johannesburg has been overwhelming. In addition to the large number of users we see visiting Zomato, restaurant owners also see the value that Zomato adds to their business, and we're expecting this trend to continue in Cape Town as well."
More about Zomato:
- Headquartered in New Delhi, India, Zomato is currently present in 8 countries: India, UAE, UK, the Philippines, Qatar, Sri Lanka, New Zealand, and South Africa
- Zomato's Johannesburg section was launched in April 2013, and Cape Town will be available to all web and mobile users starting 22nd of July; people who already have the mobile app installed will automatically get Cape Town in the list of available cities without having to update the app
- Zomato provides in-depth information such as scanned menus, mapped coordinates, contact details, pictures, and user ratings and reviews for over 103,000 restaurants worldwide. It covers over 3000 restaurants between Johannesburg and Cape Town.
- With a combined web and mobile traffic of over 14 million users per month, Zomato is ranked among the top 2,600 websites in the world and one of the top 500 websites in South Africa. (Source: Alexa)
- Zomato has also given its product a big overhaul by integrating social features deep into the product. This makes it the only vertical social network of its kind, based on a rich and credible content base. Users can choose a network of credible foodies & friends to follow and get restaurant recommendations from them, or send one another direct messages to plan meals and get-togethers.
Zomato plans to further expand its reach into continental Europe, the Middle East, South America and South-East Asia in this calendar year.